I have run other vertical antennas in the past when I lived at home before I was married. I had a big stick antenna that worked pretty good and was not that expensive. I also had a half wave vertical antenna in the very beginning that did a nice job. I did want something better at one time, so I bought a full 5/8 wave stinger antenna. This was a good size antenna and made my mothers small house look even smaller. It was similar to the super penetrater antenna. I used to watch that bend in the wind and never had a problem.
If you search on the internet you will find a variety of CB Radio Antennas that are fairly cheap. If you want to build a dipole antenna it would not cost that much. You can buy antenna wire from DX Engineering, Universal radio, AES Electronics, MFJ and Ham Radio Outlet as well as other places on the internet. There are all different kinds of wire antennas as well as vertical wire antennas you can build. It is usually cheap and sometimes you can buy things to build antennas from your local Home Depot or Lowe's.I will talk more about wire dipole antennas in a different post. If you want you can check out my Ham Radio Blog at this address http://hamradiokc2yti.blogspot.com/ .
So which CB Radio Antennas seem to be the most popular in the base station. It seems to me that the Solarcon I-MAX 2000 and the Solarcon A-99 are two of the most popular CB Radio Antennas. One of the nice advantages of these two antennas is that they do not take up a lot of real-estate. The other nice feature is that they are very simple to construct. I installed mine on my metal push up pole and just raised it up my self by walking it up. They also can withstand a a good amount of wind. Here are some specs below on each of the antennas.
Solarcon I-Max 2000
- Handles 5000 Watts
- Full 5/8 Wave Antenna
- 24' Antenna in Three Easy to Assemble Sections
- 5.1dBI Gain. Operates effectively on 6 through 20 Meter bands with a tuner, 10/11M without tuner.
- Includes U-Clamps to attach to optional mast pipe.
- SOLARCON A-99 17.5' Omni-Directional Fiberglass Base Station CB Antenna.
- Handles 200 Watts PEP
- For 10M-12M Amateur Use too.
- Requires Optional Mounting mast & Optional coaxial cable.
- Tuneable for lowest SWR reading.
|A-99 Ground Plane Kit|
- Includes Antenna and Ground Plane Kit
- 17' Antenna in Three Easy to Assemble Sections
- 8.2 DBI Gain
- Broad Bandwidth that Covers Far Above and Below the Traditional CB Channels
- DC Grounded SWR Tuning
Solarcon Ground Plane Kit for Model IMAX-2000 Base Station Antennas - Solarcon IMAXGPK Ground Plane Increases Transmit Signal Strength
- Base station antenna Unity-gain, Omnidirectional Low radiation angle for excellent DX High power handling capability Made of aluminium alloy 6063 T-832 Tunable by whips length adjusting Side mast mounting allowed by optional bracket FT-2 code 2510004.00
- Type: 1/4 Wavelength boomerang Frequency range:tunable from 26.5 to 30 MHz Impedance: 50 Ohms
- Radiation (H-plane): 360° omnidirectional Polarization: linear vertical Gain: 0 dBd, 2.15 dBi Bandwidth @ SWR <= 2: ; >= 2000 KHz @ 26.5 MHz
- SWR @ res. freq.: <= 1.5 Max. power: 1000 Watts (CW) continuous ; 3000 Watts (CW) short time
- Connector: UHF-female, also come with a 7 features in 1 survival whistle as a gift for you!
Sirio New Vector 4000 Tunable CB/10M Base Antenna
- Base station antenna Omnidirectional Tunable by whip length adjusting High power handling capability Made of aluminium alloy 6063 T-832 UP-GRADE: Lower radiation angle for the best DX, new tuning possibility
- Type: 3/4 λ coaxial J-pole Frequency range: tunable from 27 to 28.5 MHz Impedance: 50Ω Radiation (H-plane): 360° omnidirectional Polarization: vertical Gain: 2 dBd, 4.15 dBi
- Bandwidth @ SWR ≤ 2: ≥ 1400 KHz SWR @ res. freq.: ≤ 1.2 Max. power: 1000 Watts (CW) continuous 3000 Watts (CW) short time Feed system / position: Gamma match / base Connector: UHF-female
- Materials: Aluminium, Steel, Nylon Wind load / resistance: 329 N at 150 Km/h / 130 Km/h Wind surface: 0.29 m² Height (approx.): 8480 mm Weight (approx.): 4700 gr Mounting mast: Ø 35-42 mm
Thank You for reading from Dan KC2YTI 73s.