Tuesday, July 1, 2014

What Is The Best Vertical CB Radio Antenna

Solarcon A-99

I-MAX 2000
  There are so many different vertical antennas out there it's sometimes hard to choose. Right now I am using one of the I-max 2000 vertical antennas. It does a pretty good job and has stayed up through all the bad weather. I can also run it on some of the Ham radio Bands if I decide to. I have it mounted up on a push up metal mast with the base of the antenna about 19 feet from the ground. I may try some experimenting with maybe a dipole antenna or maybe a moxon antenna for the 11 meter band. I just have to watch what I do, because I have a fairly small backyard. Where there is a will there is a way.
  I have run other vertical antennas in the past when I lived at home before I was married. I had a big stick antenna that worked pretty good and was not that expensive. I also had a half wave vertical antenna in the very beginning that did a nice job. I did want something better at one time, so I bought a full 5/8 wave stinger antenna. This was a good size antenna and made my mothers small house look even smaller. It was similar to the super penetrater antenna. I used to watch that bend in the wind and never had a problem.
  If you search on the internet you will find a variety of CB Radio Antennas  that are fairly cheap. If you want to build a dipole antenna it would not cost that much. You can buy antenna wire from DX Engineering, Universal radio, AES Electronics, MFJ and Ham Radio Outlet as well as other places on the internet. There are all different kinds of wire antennas as well as vertical wire antennas you can build. It is usually cheap and sometimes you can buy things to build antennas from your local Home Depot or Lowe's.I will talk more about wire dipole antennas in a different post. If you want you can check out my Ham Radio Blog at this address http://hamradiokc2yti.blogspot.com/ .
  So which CB Radio Antennas seem to be the most popular in the base station. It seems to me that the Solarcon I-MAX 2000 and the Solarcon A-99 are two of the most popular CB Radio Antennas. One of the nice advantages of these two antennas is that they do not take up a lot of real-estate. The other nice feature is that they are very simple to construct. I installed mine on my metal push up pole and just raised it up my self by walking it up. They also can withstand a a good amount of wind. Here are some specs below on each of the antennas.

                                    Solarcon I-Max 2000
  • Handles 5000 Watts
  • Full 5/8 Wave Antenna
  • 24' Antenna in Three Easy to Assemble Sections
  • 5.1dBI Gain. Operates effectively on 6 through 20 Meter bands with a tuner, 10/11M without tuner.
  • Includes U-Clamps to attach to optional mast pipe.

                                     Solarcon A-99
  • SOLARCON A-99 17.5' Omni-Directional Fiberglass Base Station CB Antenna.
  • Handles 200 Watts PEP
  • For 10M-12M Amateur Use too.
  • Requires Optional Mounting mast & Optional coaxial cable.
  • Tuneable for lowest SWR reading.
A-99 Ground Plane Kit
  There is a ground plane kit that will help reflect the wave signal for a little better distance when transmitting. I my self have never used the ground plane kit, but reviews indicate that it does help. My advise is check out the reviews before making any decision. There is a separate kit for the I-Max 2000 and can be seen below.  Here is the ground plane kit below for the A-99 and some specs.

  • Includes Antenna and Ground Plane Kit
  • 17' Antenna in Three Easy to Assemble Sections
  • 8.2 DBI Gain
  • Broad Bandwidth that Covers Far Above and Below the Traditional CB Channels
  • DC Grounded SWR Tuning

  
  

Solarcon Ground Plane Kit for Model IMAX-2000 Base Station Antennas - Solarcon IMAXGPK Ground Plane Increases Transmit Signal Strength

   There are plenty of other antennas that are still popular these days. The Starduster has always been a popular antenna. I always like my starduster antenna until it came down when I was tilting on to my mothers roof and the guy wire stretched. It resulted in it crashing on the roof and bent in more places then I could count. I can not repeat the words that came out of my mouth on this blog. Here are some specs on the antenna below.
Starduster
  • Base station antenna Unity-gain, Omnidirectional Low radiation angle for excellent DX High power handling capability Made of aluminium alloy 6063 T-832 Tunable by whips length adjusting Side mast mounting allowed by optional bracket FT-2 code 2510004.00
  • Type: 1/4 Wavelength boomerang Frequency range:tunable from 26.5 to 30 MHz Impedance: 50 Ohms
  • Radiation (H-plane): 360° omnidirectional Polarization: linear vertical Gain: 0 dBd, 2.15 dBi Bandwidth @ SWR <= 2: ; >= 2000 KHz @ 26.5 MHz
  • SWR @ res. freq.: <= 1.5 Max. power: 1000 Watts (CW) continuous ; 3000 Watts (CW) short time
  • Connector: UHF-female, also come with a 7 features in 1 survival whistle as a gift for you!
   

      Sirio New Vector 4000 Tunable CB/10M Base Antenna

  • Base station antenna Omnidirectional Tunable by whip length adjusting High power handling capability Made of aluminium alloy 6063 T-832 UP-GRADE: Lower radiation angle for the best DX, new tuning possibility
  • Type: 3/4 λ coaxial J-pole Frequency range: tunable from 27 to 28.5 MHz Impedance: 50Ω Radiation (H-plane): 360° omnidirectional Polarization: vertical Gain: 2 dBd, 4.15 dBi
  • Bandwidth @ SWR ≤ 2: ≥ 1400 KHz SWR @ res. freq.: ≤ 1.2 Max. power: 1000 Watts (CW) continuous 3000 Watts (CW) short time Feed system / position: Gamma match / base Connector: UHF-female
  • Materials: Aluminium, Steel, Nylon Wind load / resistance: 329 N at 150 Km/h / 130 Km/h Wind surface: 0.29 m² Height (approx.): 8480 mm Weight (approx.): 4700 gr Mounting mast: Ø 35-42 mm
  This was another antenna that I used to see quite a few years ago. All the reviews that I ever read were always good. There are plenty of other CB Radio Base Station Antennas  that do a really nice job. You will generally find that most of these antennas can be used on the 10 meter Ham Radio Band. My advise is check all places on the internet whether it is ebay, amazon or one of the many dealers on the internet. Just remember to check out any dealers reviews before purchasing anything. So check out different CB Radio Antennas . Always protect yourself and stay safe.
  Thank You for reading from Dan KC2YTI 73s. 

CB Radio Beam Antennas

CB Video Bar

Loading...