Sunday, December 14, 2014

Come On Get That Antenna Up On A Tower

                                   
          Gives and idea of a antenna tower. I could see a nice Moonraker 4 on it.

  Boy I miss my 40 foot tower that I had when I was living at home back in the late 70s. I loved having that pdl II beam antenna. I had the 40 foot tower with me even when we first moved into our house. Unfortunately I never thought I was going for my Ham Radio License. I sold the Beam, Tower and Rotor, so I could buy a nice guitar and amplifier. Looking back I should have kept it so I could have put a few antennas up on it. Well I guess that's just part of life as we make choices.
  So maybe in the future there will be some kind of antenna tower for me. I have looked at quite a few different kinds. I generally will want something that will be easier for me as I am getting older. My preference so far seems to be a rohn tower where I could have a hazer on it. I like the idea of being able to lower the antenna almost to the ground in case I had to work on it. I have heard of some horror stories of either the Hazer getting stuck or jammed near the top of the tower or the other was the hazer cable letting go and the antenna come crashing to the ground. I have a feeling I would not like that and my wife certainly would not like that.
 

  So might be the next choice of antenna tower to choose from. Well my next choice is a crank up tower with the capability to tilt over. Once again you can get the tower close to the ground to work on. If you don't tilt it over it will be about 21 feet off the ground. The only drawback once again are the horror stories that I have seen on youtube. I saw one video where the cable broke and the sections came telescoping and crashing to the ground. I did read where one fellow had some kind of break where the tower would only drop a short way so it would not get damaged. The other problem I read about was the cable to lift or lower the tower was getting jammed. I don't think this will stop me from my quest at this point. We will have to see what the future holds with looking for a different house with some property to fit my antennas.
                                Picture of a Crank Up Antenna Tower

   So if I don't go for a hazer type tower set up or a telescoping antenna tower what do I go for. Well I have seen some antenna towers that just tilt over and you use a winch or a motorized winch. Definitely you will need some room for this one. That was how my old antenna tower was set up. It was made to be a tilt over tower and it worked quite well for the space I fit it into. I think that may be my choice only because I could save some money. I guess I will have to wait and see for now. I will live with my imax 2000 on the antenna mast for the cb radio and the dipole antenna for the Ham Radio. I do have a Moxon Antenna in the works for 17 meters and a quad meter I have been building for 6 meters.

                             
                              Video gives an idea of a tilt over antenna tower

   The only other style of mounting the antenna on that I have seen is the crank up tube type mast. I remember seeing a fellow Ham radio Operator using this type of set up some years ago. The nice thing is it can lower to a reasonable height to lower the antenna to to work on it. It also does not take up a lot of room and is not an eyesore to the neighbors. The only issue is that they can be a little costly. I did see some that can handle 18 square feet of antenna, which would be plenty for me. Well whatever way I decide to go only the future knows.


             
         Watch the video to get an example of a Telescoping Mast Antenna Tower

Thank You for reading from Dan KC2YTI  73s.

CB Radio Beam Antennas

CB Video Bar

Loading...